There are many toxic chemicals in our food supply and every day we are exposed to toxins in our environment. This exposure can create bothersome symptoms and disease. Detoxification is the process of removing or metabolizing toxins and chemicals that disrupt normal body functions. A cleanse or detoxification program involves a series of steps to actively enhance the eliminate toxic wastes.
A toxin is anything that causes harm, irritation or destruction in the body. Toxins can be both external and internal. We are exposed to toxins in our environment by breathing them, by ingesting them or through physical contact with them. This may include chemicals, drugs, food additives, allergens or even an over abundance of water, sodium, sugar, and other nutrients. Internally, our body produces toxic waste products through its normal biochemical, cellular, and bodily functions that need to be eliminated (e.g. free radicals etc.).
The goal is to neutralize and eliminate toxins so our body and organs can return to normal function. Luckily our bodies have built-in systems designed to remove these toxins from the bloodstream and tissues. Unfortunately many toxins are stored in fatty tissues for which the body has no removal system. Of course, if our body is working well, with good immune and elimination functions, we can handle our basic everyday exposure to toxins. However, there is only so much our body can handle, when we eat a congesting diet higher in fats, meats, dairy products, refined foods, and chemicals, detoxification becomes more necessary.
Who needs to detoxify – are you a candidate?
- Yes, if you are beginning or already taking hormone replacement therapy.
- Yes, if you are overweight and/or beginning a weight loss program.
- Yes, if your have multiple symptoms that do not seem to have a cause.
- Yes, if you are chronically exposed to a toxic environment.
- Yes, if you have had a recent acute toxic exposure.
- Yes, for general maintenance and good health every spring and fall!
Although the need for detoxification will depend in part on individual lifestyle and needs, an optional method of assessing your need for a detox program and periodically evaluated its benefits it to complete a Medical Symptoms Questionnaire – MSQ.
- MSQ score > 30 – indicates that you would potentially benefit from a detox protocol.
- MSQ score >50 – indicates that you would potentially benefit from a detox program.
- MSQ score > 75 – indicates that you would potentially benefit from a detox program.
* Note: MSQ score >75 indicates that any detox protocol should be approached cautiously to avoid increasing symptoms.
It is theorized that, by simply eliminating foods that are most commonly associated with chronic disease and by providing a low glycemic, antioxidant-rich diet, one can substantially improve his or her health and quality of life (see our sample elimination diet). An exceptional cleansing and detoxification program that greatly improves your health, requires the ingestion of the highest quality nutrients. These nutrients include vitamins, minerals, amino acids, proteins, carbohydrates, fats and water. Our 6-day Detox Kit or 28 Day Cleanse/Detoxification program goes beyond dietary modification, striving to achieve an optimal health outcome. The plan incorporates very high quality clinically tested functional food shakes that contain ingredients scientifically proven to support healthy body composition and the body’s natural detoxification mechanisms.
6 Day Detox Kit – this program is recommended for everyone as a spring/fall cleanup or before starting a weight loss or hormone replacement program to support the body’s natural process of metabolic healing. The program removes unwanted compounds to keep your body running and feeling its best. The program includes the use of a modified elimination diet along with the following supplements: Drainage (supports liver, kidney and colon), ColonX (supports GI regularity), ProbioMax Daily (30 billiion CFU Probiotic) and OptiCleanse GHI functional food (for balanced detoxification, GI support and a health response to inflammation).
Functional Food (you’ll need 5 containers to complete the full 28 days). Choose one of the following:
- OptiCleanse GHI – This formula provides optimal detoxification and supports the gastrointestinal mucosa and the body’s natural anti-inflammatory response.
- Medcaps DPO (these supplements already in the Shake above)
- Drainage Formula combines homeopathic liver “drainers” with homeopathic remedies that are known to support excretory function. This formulation focuses on the liver, kidney, and colon functions while addressing symptoms associated with toxicity.
- Liver Protect – daily liver and hepatic protective formula which can play a significant role for daily protection, detoxification, support antioxidant activity, regenerate other antioxidants and promote healthy immune function.
- ActiveNutrients – Daily MutliVitamin & Mineral
Improving your healthy starts with a good diet, an active lifestyle and stress management. See our section on Lifestyle Modifications and learn how to make positive changes to prevent aging!