According to the American Menopause Society, “there is no firm evidence that memory or other cognitive skills actually decline because of natural menopause”. However, poor concentration and foggy thinking are common complaints during perimenopause and the years right after menopause.
More research is needed to determine the cause of these complaints. However, estradiol is needed to transport glucose to the brain. A hormone imbalance can lead to energy starved brain cells and foggy thinking. Those with low adrenal function frequently complain of losing their train of thought, finding it harder to make decisions and being more absentminded. This may be attributed to the hormone cortisol. Although studies are lacking to prove the association, sleep disturbances and hot flashes may contribute to these symptoms, as well as dealing with various midlife stressors.
Women who are concerned about declining cognitive performance are advised to consult with their healthcare provider. Remaining physically, socially, and mentally active may help prevent memory loss. Make positive lifestyle changes.
- Supplement to Consider:
- Cognitive Balance – provides support for optimal homocysteine and dopamine levels. Cognitive Balance® features targeted ingredients shown to maximize vitamin transport to the nervous system and assist in the production and processing of the neurotransmitter dopamine.* Dopamine plays an important role in several brain functions, including cognition (learning and concentration), behavior, motor activity, sleep and mood.
- Brain Sustain Shake or NeuroActive BrainSustain capsules – both contain a variety of nutrients and cofactors that support mitochondrial energy production, antioxidant systems, neurotransmitter production, and cell membrane integrity.
- Cogniquil – Support for Clarity and Motivation
- Focus DL – contains the precursor to PEA, a neuromodulator important for attention and cognition
- Menonopause Support to help alleviate menopausal symptoms.
- Check out ways to improve your lifestyle (exercise, diet & stress) in our section on Lifestyle Modifications.
- Check if you are suffering from Adrenal Fatigue – assess your symptoms and discuss with your practitioner.
- Make an appointment for our Hormone Balancing Program.
28 Day Detoxification Plan – this is not a bowel cleanse but a “metabolic” cleanse to help your body’s systems re-align and start working the way they were intended. You’ll feel the difference!