Many people think of sleeplessness as just an annoyance but the truth is lack of sleep can be hazardous to your health. Some studies have shown that lack of sleep can increase your risk of heart disease by as much as 48% and your risk of stroke by 15%. In addition insomnia can cause interference with daily activities such as memory, performing calculations and reaction times.
Not getting enough sleep can result in more wrinkles. At night your skin temperature rises which dilates blood vessels. This delivers more oxygen to the skin and also stimulates the things necessary to promote collagen formation. The result – possibly fewer wrinkles. Not getting enough sleep may also result in weight gain. When you sleep your body lowers the “eat-more’ (ghrelin) hormone and increases the “stop-eating” (leptin) hormone.
The reasons for loss of sleep are many; including stress, menopause, poor sleep habits and poor sleep surroundings. Things that you can do to help you get to sleep and stay asleep (good sleep hygiene) include:
- Go to bed at the same time each night.
- Keep the area you sleep in cool and dark (darkness helps to produce the sleep hormone Melatonin).
- Reduce Blue Light Exposure in the Evening
- If you are hungry have a small snack like a small bowl of oatmeal, a small banana, a few walnuts, or ½ half of a turkey sandwich.
- Replace your mattress.
- Take a warm bath or listen to music.
Aim for 7 – 8 hours of sleep each night. You know you are getting enough when you can function in an alert state during desired waking hours.
If you find that these lifestyle changes are not working for you it might be time to consult a clinician to rule out medical problems, such as; thyroid abnormalities, allergies, anemia, restless leg syndrome, depression or sleep apnea.
Supplements to consider
Supplements to Consider:
- Sleep Aids including Insomnitol,or Melatonin Liquid
- RelaxMax – a formula to promote calm, relaxed physiological state. Jacque Crighton likes this to replace her glass of wine in the evening – provides the same sense of calm but healthier!
- Melatonin CR– a vegetarian, biphasic tablet consisting of 5 mg of melatonin and 10 mg of Vitamin B6 designed to release quickly and then steadily for extended support – also available as a liquid for more immediate affect.
- GABA/L-theanine cream – apply to temples 30 minutes before bedtime this cream combines two substances and ingredients that have been widely used for the treatment of anxiety, depression, insomnia and many other nervous system issues. The transdermal delivery system allows the nutrients to enter the bloodstream directly bypassing the liver.
- Cortisolv to help reduce cortisol levels and improve sleep.
- MagneSul Cream – assists with muscle relaxation and restless leg syndrome (applied directly to the legs)
Lifestyle Modifications: Exercise, Diet, Stress Management
Symptom Assessments: Stress Inventory, Adrenal Fatigue Assessment, Low Thyroid Function.
28 Day Detoxification Plan – this is not a bowel cleanse but a “metabolic” cleanse to help your body’s systems re-align and start working the way they were intended. You’ll feel the difference!